Arizona Alliance ofBlack
Click here to learn more about the STEAM Enrichment Program
“While only 4% of the nation’s work force is composed of scientists and engineers, this group disproportionately creates jobs for the other 96 percent.”
National Science Board, Science and Engineering Indicators 2010. Arlington VA, National Science Foundation
Over the past 10 years, growth in STEM jobs was three times as fast as growth in non-STEM. Future jobs require STEM skills.
In partnership with Grand Canyon University’s (GCU) College of Education, the Arizona Alliance of Black School Educators, is offering enrichment programs for Arizona’s gifted and talented youth. The engaging programs and projects are designed to excite children about STEAM topics and empower them with the confidence to pursue professions within the areas of Science, Technology, Engineering, the Arts and Mathematics (STEAM).
Saturday sessions are held at GCU and offers elementary and middle school students an opportunity to experience STEAM studies through a hands-on approach to challenging curriculum.
"Closing achievement gaps is a critical issue. The performance of Blacks is systematically different from that of other racial and ethnic groups. Decreasing gaps in student achievement means that we must increase the learning gains of Blacks."
- National Education Association
"The gap between teachers and students of color continues to grow. Over the past three years, the demographic divide between teachers and students of color has increased by 3 percentage points, and today, students of color make up almost half of the public school population. But teachers of color are just 18 percent of the teaching profession."
- Center for American Progress
"African-American students, particularly males, are far more likely to be suspended or expelled from school than their peers. Black students make up 18% of the students in the CRDC sample, but 35% of the students suspended once, and 39% of the students expelled."
- U.S. Department of Education
Arizona Alliance of Black School Educators
1334 E. Chandler Blvd., Ste. #5-D32
Phoenix, AZ 85048
Copyright Arizona Alliance of Black School Educators.
All Rights Reserved.
AzABSE pledges to continue serving as educational advocates for children who have been poorly served in the past. We further pledge to ensure that African-American and all other diverse students are effectively educated in the present and are accorded priorities for the future. We pledge to lead the way through the creation of a concrete model that demonstrates the goals of academic and cultural excellence.